Install a docbase on Linux
This procedure describes how to install a docbase on Linux.
- The TEXTML Server must be installed and started on the server.
- If you are using this procedure to install a docbase from a previous version of TEXTML Server, you must first migrate the docbase.
- To install a new empty docbase entity (you can import files afterwards).
- To install a populated docbase from another TEXTML Server version.
Docbases must be installed on a local drive or a storage area network (SAN) on the server where you installed TEXMTL Server. It cannot be installed on a network file system (NFS) volume.IXIASOFT recommends that you store all the docbases in a top-level folder, called docbases. You can then create a sub-folder for the TEXTML Server version and then a sub-folder for each docbase.
To install a new docbase:
- Create a directory for your docbase (for example, /docbases/4.3/SportsStories).
Give the textml user permissions for the high-level folder
(i.e., /docbases) and its subdirectories:
chmod -R u+wr,g+wr,o+r-w docbases
- Open the TEXTML Server Administration Console.
- Connect to the server where you want to install the docbase.
Right-click the server and select Install Document
The Install Document Base dialog appears.Figure 1. Installing a docbase
In the Data box, enter the path and the
name for the docbase directory, for example,
Note: Remember, Linux paths and file names are case-sensitive.
In the Name box, enter the name of the
Note: While the name of the docbase can be different from the name of the docbase folder, IXIASOFT highly recommends that you use the same name.
Do one of the following:
Note: Logger records (not to be confused with transaction logs) are duplicates of the master record for docbase transactions. TEXTML Server creates logger records when performing write operations on the docbase. Users who expect frequent intense write activity on a docbase may choose to locate the logger records in a different directory to improve performance.
- To have logger records saved in the docbase directory, select Use same directory for logs.
- To have logger records written to a different directory, specify a folder in the Logs box.
Under Installation Type, select one of
- New document base, to install a new and empty docbase entity.
- Existing document base, to install a populated docbase (for example, a docbase that you previously migrated).
The new docbase and its associated subfolders appear as child nodes of the server.Figure 2. New docbase and subfolders
- If you get an Error installing document base message, repeat the procedure, ensuring that the Name is a docbase folder also selected in the Data box.
- If you get a The storage version is incompatible with this server message, the selected docbase is not the same version as the server you are using. Check the DocumentBaseCfg.xml file (in the /docbases/4.3/instance-name/ folder) and ensure that the version (for TEXTML Server 4.3) is 4300 or higher. Migrate the docbase and try again. See the TEXTML Server Administration Guide for more information.
- If you get a TEXTML Server can't create the Document Base message, repeat the procedure, being sure to clear the Create if missing option in the dialog box.
- An error can occur if you have not set the permissions correctly for the docbase. See Step 2 in the procedure above.
- If none of the above resolves your problem, open the textml_instance-namelog file in /opt/ixiasoft/textmlserver/instance-name/log and check the error message details.