Configure image formats and UI options
You can configure the Show/Edit Image dialog box to specify the labels that appear in the dialog box, whether images will be flagged for translation by default, and the display characteristics of image thumbnails.
The DITA CMS maintains images in different resolutions and formats for use with different types of output. The images are assigned a collective ID with the extension .image.
To configure image formats and UI options:
Open the TEXTML Administration perspective by clicking the
TEXTML Administration shortcut on the
tool bar. If the shortcut is not displayed, follow these steps:
- Click TEXTML Administration.
- Click OK.
- In the TEXTML Administration view, double-click the server. If your server is not displayed in the view, you must add it to the view.
- When the Connect as dialog opens, type your username and password and click OK.
- Double-click the name of your docbase to open a connection to the Content Store.
- Locate the multiimage.xml file in the repository's /system/conf collection.
- Check out the file.
- Open multiimage.xml with a text editor.
Use the <formatnames> element to specify the image
format types that users can select when they import images through the
Show/Edit Image dialog box.
<formatnames> <formatname>PDF</formatname> <formatname>Web</formatname> </formatnames>
When you add the format names, keep in mind that the order of the formats determines which one appears by default in the Format drop-down in the Image import dialog.Tip: Coordinate these names with whomever is writing the transformation templates used by your system.
Under the <imagetypes> element, enter a
<type> for each image type option that will appear
when images are imported into the system.
<imagetypes> <type description="" translate="yes">Screen Capture</type> </imagetypes>Note: The description attribute creates a description field in the dialog box, where users can describe their specific image. Do not enter a description value, as it will not be displayed.
- Set the translate attribute to "yes" or "no" to determine whether the Needs Translation check box is selected by default for the image type.
Use the <thumbnails> element to set up the following
- defaultscale – Enter the scaling factor that will
be initially applied to an image. In the example below, the image will
be scaled to 50% of its original size by default. If this results in an
image in which either dimension exceeds maxsize or is
below minsize, the scale will be recalculated so that
the resulting thumbnail fits within the minimum/maximum range.
If the original, unscaled image is smaller than the minimum size then it is left as is. An icon, for example, is displayed at its original size.
- minsize – Enter the minimum width or height, in pixels, of a thumbnail preview.
- maxsize – Enter the maximum width or height, in pixels, of a thumbnail preview.
<thumbnails defaultscale="0.5" minsize="150" maxsize="600"/>
- defaultscale – Enter the scaling factor that will be initially applied to an image. In the example below, the image will be scaled to 50% of its original size by default. If this results in an image in which either dimension exceeds maxsize or is below minsize, the scale will be recalculated so that the resulting thumbnail fits within the minimum/maximum range.
- Save, close, and check in the multiimage.xml file.
Inform users of the changes.
The changes will be applied automatically once users close and then reopen their DITA CMS. Users can also apply the changes without restarting their DITA CMS by clicking.