Disable thumbnail synchronization for all users
By default, image thumbnails are synchronized every 30 minutes. You can configure the DITA CMS to disable thumbnail synchronization for all users, regardless of the users' personal settings.
When thumbnails are created, they are stored on the server and become available to all users the next time their thumbnails are synchronized. For deployments with very large Content Stores, thumbnails can take a lot of space, especially in a Citrix environment where the disk is shared by multiple users.
To disable thumbnail synchronization for all the users in your deployment:
Open the TEXTML Administration perspective by clicking the
TEXTML Administration shortcut on the
tool bar. If the shortcut is not displayed, follow these steps:
- Click TEXTML Administration.
- Click OK.
- In the TEXTML Administration view, double-click the server. If your server is not displayed in the view, you must add it to the view.
- When the Connect as dialog opens, type your username and password and click OK.
- Double-click the name of your docbase to open a connection to the Content Store.
- Locate the multiimage.xml file in the repository's /system/conf collection.
- Check out the file.
- Open multiimage.xml with a text editor.
Locate the <thumbnails> element
and set the allowThumbnailSynchronization
attribute to false.
... <!-- Thumbnails settings for images --> <thumbnails defaultscale="0.5" minsize="150" maxsize="600" allowThumbnailSynchronization="false"/> ...Note: If the attribute is not there, simply add it and edit the multiimage.dtd file as described below.This attribute disables thumbnail synchronization, regardless of the users' personal settings. When <allowThumbnailSynchronization> is set to false, the Synchronize Image Thumbnails option is greyed out in the DITA CMS Synchronization Preferences and the following message is displayed:
[disabled by system administrator]
- Save, close, and check in the multiimage.xml file.
Inform users of the changes.
The changes will be applied automatically once users close and then reopen their DITA CMS. Users can also apply the changes without restarting their DITA CMS by clicking.