Restrict use of output types by role
If there are output types that you do not want certain roles to be able to select in the Generate Output dialog, you can remove these output types from the Output Format drop-down menu for these roles.
To restrict the use of output types by role:
Open the TEXTML Administration perspective by clicking the
TEXTML Administration shortcut on the
tool bar. If the shortcut is not displayed, follow these steps:
- Click TEXTML Administration.
- Click OK.
- In the TEXTML Administration view, double-click the server. If your server is not displayed in the view, you must add it to the view.
- When the Connect as dialog opens, type your username and password and click OK.
- Double-click the name of your docbase to open a connection to the Content Store.
- Locate the accessrights.xml file in the repository's /system/conf collection.
- Check out and open accessrights.xml with a text editor.
Locate the section that begins with <!-- **********************
OUTPUT TYPES ********************** -->.
This section contains one entry, Export. This entry specifically controls the visibility of the Export output type for specified roles, but it can also serve as a template for additional entries.
- Copy this entry (the entire <method name="Export"> element) and paste the copy below the original.
Make the appropriate changes for your scenario.
For example, you might have two PDF output types: PDF-Draft and PDF-Final. You want to allow any user to create draft PDF output, but only Information Architects to create final PDF output. For localized content, you want to allow only Translation Managers to create final PDF output. The following example defines that scenario:
<method name="PDF-Final" type="outputtype"> <notify enabled="false"/> <conditionset operator="any"> <condition> <current> <type name="*"> <statuses> <status>Authoring:*</status> </statuses> </type> </current> <users> <groups> <group name="System Administrators"/> </groups> <roles> <role name="Information Architect"/> </roles> </users> </condition> <condition> <current> <type name="*"> <statuses> <status>Localization:*</status> </statuses> </type> </current> <users> <groups> <group name="System Administrators"/> </groups> <roles> <role name="Localization Manager"/> </roles> </users> </condition> </conditionset> </method>
- Create additional methods as necessary to define your output type permissions.
- Save, close, and check in the accessrights.xml file.
Inform users of the changes.
The changes will be applied automatically once users close and then reopen their DITA CMS. Users can also apply the changes without restarting their DITA CMS by clicking.