Obtain the messages from the browser console log
The browser's console log messages may be helpful with troubleshooting.
You might use the log messages from the console to diagnose an issue yourself, or you might be asked by technical support to send a copy of the logs as part of an investigation into an issue you reported.
- OFF: events are not logged.
- ERROR: reports error events which may affect processes.
- WARN: reports potentially harmful events.
- INFO: reports general informational events.
- DEBUG: reports specific events typically useful for troubleshooting.
- TRACE: reports specific events at a more granular level than DEBUG.
- ALL: reports all events.
The log level is set as a parameter in the URL used to access DITA CMS Web. The parameters are case-sensitive and are set using the format WebLoggerLogLevel=[level]. The type of events logged in the console depends on the log level set. Events are logged for the indicated level and all levels above it. For example, if you set WARN as the level, both WARN and ERROR events will be logged.
By default the console is set to OFF, which means events are not logged in the console. Once you set a log level, the events corresponding to that level and all the levels above it are logged and continue to be logged for two hours even if the setting no longer appears on the URL.
To set the log level:
Open the browser's console.
For example, to open the console on browsers such as Chrome, Internet Explorer, and Firefox, click in the browser window, press the F12 key, and click the Console tab. For other browsers, refer to the browser's online documentation for instructions.
In the address bar, add the parameter representing the log
level that you want to set:
Ensure you precede the parameter with a question mark (?) or ampersand (&) as required. For example: http://localhost:8080/ditacms/?lang=en&WebLoggerLogLevel=DEBUG
- Repeat the action that caused the issue.
- Review the log messages.
- To obtain a copy of the log message from the console, right-click in the console and save the contents using the options available in the menu depending on the browser (or refer to the browser's online documentation).